The Largest Museum of Bags and Purses
The Museum of Bags and Purses, the largest of its kind in the world, will show and tell you the story of a seemingly everyday article. It is a fascinating story, featuring fashion, art, customs and history. The museum is situated in a lovely canal house in the centre of Amsterdam, part of the UNESCO World heritage Canal Ring Area of Amsterdam, displaying the development of bags and purses from the Middle ages to the present day. This is the only place in the world where you will find so many beautiful, valuable, playful and exciting handbags in one collection: from historical highlights from the 15th century to the timeless classics of modern design from the most famous designers.
7 Reasons to Visit Us
- An enormous and unique collection of over 5.000 bags and purses (from 1600 A.D. to the present)
- Awarded the title of one of the 10 Best Fashion Museums in the World
- The perfect chance to see the interior of a traditional Amsterdam canal house, part of the UNESCO World heritage Canal Ring Area of Amsterdam
- A wonderful venue for a High tea or Period room lunch
- See the iconic hand bag of Margaret Thatcher and the actual Versace bag worn by Madonna
- Shop for bags in our award-winning Museum Shop: Best Museum Shop in Amsterdam 2014
- An exclusive and intimate venue for weddings, business meetings, receptions and dinner
Yes, I’m on my way!